Man Sentenced to 6 Years for Death of Edmonton Flower Shop Owner


EDMONTON – An Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench judge has sentenced the man who punched and killed an Edmonton flower shop owner to six years in prison for manslaughter.

Jordan Cushnie pleaded guilty on May 24, 2019 in the death of Iain Armstrong.

Armstrong, who owned and worked at the Bunches Flowers outlet in Southgate Center, attempted to stop Cushnie from stealing a crate from a nearby kiosk in April 2018.

Justice Eldon Simpson accepted the Crown and defense recommendations for a six-year sentence.

“Nothing that I can do or say, or the pain I inflict, will in any way alleviate the grief,” said Simpson.

“I guess if you walked into Bunchs to ask Mr. Armstrong a favor and help with your homelessness, he probably would have helped you. That’s the real tragedy of his loss. person he was, ”Simpson told Cushnie.

“The only way you can repay this loss is to make some changes. ”

Judge Simpson noted that Cushnie was on probation at the time of Armstrong’s death, that he had fled both the scene and the city, and that he also had a lengthy criminal record that included other violent crimes. .

He was also sentenced to three years for robbery as well as one year for breach of probation, both to be served concurrently with the six-year sentence for manslaughter.

Cushnie has been in custody since his arrest and now has 30 months of sentence left with credit for time already served.

The court heard Armstrong, who was 61, fell and hit his head in a corner of the booth after being punched.

Armstrong was removed from the resuscitation system a few days later.

Cushnie, who had smoked crystal meth before entering the mall, fled the city before being later arrested near Lac La Biche.

Armstrong’s wife Sharon Armstrong said in a victim impact statement that the morning of April 17, 2018 was normal, with her husband leaving to work in their family business.

“In a few hours my world would fall apart,” she said, explaining that she received the phone call from a store employee and immediately called her husband’s brother and business partner, Eric Armstrong, who was in near.

When she arrived at the mall, she said she saw the building surrounded by emergency vehicles.

“I felt my heart collapse,” she said.

She was diverted to the University of Alberta hospital, where she was greeted by police and called her son and daughter to meet her.

“We were all so scared and confused,” Armstrong said, adding that doctors began to use words like “catastrophic, catastrophic” to describe her husband’s injuries.

With files from the Canadian Press


About Author

Leave A Reply